Sympa Menu

president - [president] - President's Message - June 22

Subject: president

[president] - President's Message - June 22

  • From: owner-president AT cronus.cc.uregina.ca
  • Subject: [president] - President's Message - June 22
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 10:36:27 -0600 (CST)

Yesterday, June 21, was National Aboriginal Day in Canada - a day
designated to pay tribute to the heritage, diverse cultures, and
accomplishments of Canada's Aboriginal peoples. Although the first
National Aboriginal Day was officially declared only in 1996, June 21 of
each year - the summer solstice - has long been a special day for many
cultures. Historically, the summer solstice has been a time for
celebrations and festivals, so it is a fitting day for people of all
backgrounds to join together in celebration with Canada's First Nations,
Métis and Inuit communities.

National Aboriginal Day is an important occasion for Saskatchewan, as
we have much to celebrate, and much to look forward to. It is estimated
that Aboriginal peoples will make up approximately one quarter of
Saskatchewan's population by 2031 - the highest percentage of any
province in Canada. As we plan the future of Saskatchewan, it is
incumbent upon us to ensure that all members of society have every
opportunity to realize their dreams and leave their mark on our
province. An important part of this ongoing process is recognizing the
achievements of our Aboriginal youth and colleagues, and celebrating the
fact that Aboriginal culture, history and traditions are part of our
shared identity.

In a recent report entitled "The Future Starts Now: Economic Space for
First Nations," authors David E. Smith and Nathan Elliot identify First
Nations people as one of our greatest assets in Saskatchewan, and indeed
in Canada as a whole. How we support the development of this asset is
critical. We need to ensure that educational opportunities are
available, that investment in Aboriginal language learning continues,
and that the cultural heritage of Aboriginal art, performance and music
is celebrated for the richness it brings to our province.

Few would argue that historically we have come as far as we should have
in these areas. We are, however, making progress. On National Aboriginal
Day in 2003, for example, our federated college friends at First Nations
University of Canada officially opened their new building. First Nations
University of Canada, like the Saskatchewan Indian Institute of
Technology, should be celebrated for its continuing work to educate its
students - Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal alike - within a context that
promotes indigenous knowledge, traditions and culture.

We have a shared obligation to ensure that everyone in Saskatchewan
learns about and honours our Aboriginal peoples' complex history and
rich culture. It is never too late, as I can say from personal
experience. Being of Mi'kmaq descent but not raised within the culture,
I have had to learn about my heritage later in life through research.
Through that process, I have learned that Mi'kmaq legends are full of
life lessons and honour nature. Like Cree and Dakota legends, they tell
of the creation of many of our Canadian natural landmarks, and are
inspirational stories of survival and perseverance that have much to
teach us today.

At this time of year, as we celebrate National Aboriginal Day together,
I am once again reminded about everything that is great about
Saskatchewan. We are a province with a rich history to honour, and an
increasingly diverse population of creative people to lead us into the
future. Aboriginal culture and traditions - which are part the shared
heritage of everyone in Saskatchewan - will be increasingly important as
we define that future together.

Vianne Timmons
President and Vice-Chancellor

  • [president] - President's Message - June 22, owner-president, 06/22/2012

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.

Top of Page